Sudden swollen and sore knuckle, popping makes it feel better. Any ideas ?

Yes I have a sudden swollen and sore knuckle in my hand . I feel like popping the knuckle joint about every 5 minute or so, 24x7. That makes it feel better, but seems to make the swelling and dull soreness worse. Any idea where to point me? There has been no known impact or direct trauma for years to this hand, therefore makes me wonder what else could this possibly be?
Asked On : Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Repeated popping the knuckle itself causes mild recurrent trauma to the joint resulting in a mild inflammation causing the persistent pain. You need to stop repeated popping, do a hot fomentation and take a mild anti inflammatory like acetaminophen.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal