Sudden stab between heart and ribs while sleeping on the left side, chest feels stiff, dry throat. Why ?

Hi There, My name is AAAA and I m 29 years of age. I am a smoker for 8 years and then stopped. I cannot sleep on my left side at night anymore, i get this sudden stab between my heart and ribs and it feels as if i m going out of my body, but then with the scare it gives me nothing happens but my body shakes once. When I turn on my right then nothing happens and I m fine. I also get a light pain in the left side of my chest sometimes. Also, In the morning when I wake up, my throat is dry and my chest feels very stiff, I then automatically cough for like 10minutes till the phlegm gets loose and them i feel normal again. Also note that there is a burning sensation in my chest when I wake up and cough. Can you please help me and give me some idea of what is wrong and what I need to do? I worry about the fact that I cant sleep on my left side anymore and my stiff chest in the morning with the burning dry cough. Kind Regards, AAAAA
Asked On : Sun, 9 Dec 2012
Pulmonologist 's  Response
I feel u are having a bad acidity and hence the burning due to gastroeosophageal reflux. U are a smoker and hence it is worsened. Also get thorougly checked for any hyperreactive airway disease