Sudden appearance of welt on calf followed by green bruises, no signs of insect bite or injury. Possible cause?

My husband and I were looking at a campground to stay in. When walking out of the store, I felt a discomfort on the inside of my calf . Upon inspection, I noticed what appeared to be a welt but it was not red as if I had been hit by something. I rubbed my hand over it and it felt as if I had bruised it but no discoloration. Approximately 15 minutes later, I reinspected the area and the pain was still there but now a bruise had appeared. Today the bruise (greenish in color but when gently moving my hand over the area is a blue/purple color). No signs of an insect bite and I did not hit my calf
Asked On : Mon, 27 Aug 2012