Stringy piece hanging from the throat that comes in the mouth on coughing, seems to stay longer. What could this be?

hi, i have a long piece of strigy skin hanging of the bottom os my throat , when i cough the piece actually comes up into my mouth and it is flat on the end like a small penny it has always been there but lately seems to be longer, has never come up into my mouth before so that i have to swallow it back down what could this be?
Asked On : Fri, 12 Oct 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi, you have post nasal drip and the cause can be an infection in the sinuses. The problem usually gets solved by steam inhalation, mucolytics, nasal decongestants. If it does not gets resolved, CT PNS should be done and the status of osteomeatal complex is to be visualized. Please get in touch with an ENT in case the problem does not resolve. Regards