Sprained ankle, immediate swelling with pain, sore reddish oval right across the area of ligament. Is it healing ?

First, i d like to share we re overseas. I sprained my ankle 10 days ago while in Cambodia, and have now returned to China where we live , though we are from america. Going to see knowledgeable specialist that I can communicate with it going to be difficult, but not impossible, just hard. My main question right now is should I have an MRI or not, and if it would help or not. Let me explain a litte of the background of the sprain. did not see a step and ankle rolled in - stretching/tearing front and outer ligaments. felt tear/stretching across front and side. It had IMMEDIATE swelling on the front and right of the ankle within seconds and lots of pain. (i can send you a pic) : ) Very painful and couldn t walk on it of course. Should i add that i could not move the ankle or foot at all. people s faces were fun to watch! The following day i was able to put mild pressure on it a for couple steps on the heal with the foot out in front of me, but not directly over it (does that make sense). it did not seem excruciating. i noticed mild instability, but not complete. Likely a grade 2 sprain. (i ve had other ankle injuries so i knew the difference.) since we were traveling i was unable to keep it elevated, though i did stay off of it. On day four as the pain near the bone was more distinct and i couldn t bear weight on the foot we went for an x-ray - no fracture. Foot has VERY swollen many days. we were in a poor town and all i got was an x-ray and anti-inflammatory med, but no exam of the ankle itself. we were able to locate crutches so I’m doing everything i can to take care of it including wrapping. On around Day 5 the ankle began throbbing an hurting as badly as i expected it to on Day 2. pain meds help some. Day 8 -10 the swelling has gone down when sleeping, and i m home and able to rest o it is not swelling too too much. of course the foot swells up if i m standing. However the one area on the outside near the bone is still extremely painful. i mean the whole ankle is still sore and i m still not walking on it. THere is also an obvious redish oval right across the area of the ligament. it is VERY SORE - throbs, sore to touch, sensitive, hurts with or with out pressure. the redness and soreness lies across where i think is the ATFL tibiofibular. Oh i also need to add this is my 5th ankle injury on this ankle, that is also why i m concerned previous grade 2 sprain, previous grade 3 sprain with a 6-week cast, previous stress fracture casted 6 weeks, and a mild sprain about 2 years ago. also because of that i m pretty sure it s not as bad as when i had the grade 3 sprain. So is this just part of the healing? do you suggest an MRI? would it be helpful at this point? i;m not even sure here how well the guys can read it. should i wait longer for more signs of healing and how long and for what signs? the healing and long term effects is very important because i need to return to work and will be on my feet. Thanks so much. Sincerely, AAAAAA
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013