Sprained ankle. On crutches. Why pain? Lump appeared. Hurts. Why?

hi approx 4yrs ago i sprained my ankle and was on crutches for 3wks , since then i have had an ongoing problem with intermittent pain and am unable to wear high heels anymore, all of a sudden a wk ago my foot started to hurt and when i looked it was swollen on the outer aspect in the middle where a hard pea size lump had appeared it was red and painful to touch and walk on, the redness has settled now but it is still painful to touch and my foot hurts by the end of the day
Asked On : Sun, 5 Aug 2012