Soft painful lump on the outer side of left thigh, no growth, numbness. What could it be ?

I have had a soft lump on the outer side of my left thigh for a while now and I always thought it was a swollen lymph node or something but I was told here recently that there are no lymph nodes there and to have it checked out as it could be a tumor . It is about 1 inch in length and about 3-4 cm wide and has not grown in size over the past two years. Also 2 days ago I woke up to a slight discomfort on the inside of my lower left leg. I thought I might have slept on it wrong but the pain did not subside. Last night the pain started getting worse though it is more of a discomfort than real pain. I began to run my finger down the inside of he bone and I noticed there was an indentation about an inch long and an inch wide with slight pain with feeling the depth. You can clearly feel where the bone ends the soft dent is and the bone begins again. To say the pain has gotten a bit worse with what feels like a slight stabbing pain and almost numbness at the same time and the dent has gotten a little bigger. I have it hit my leg on anything so I am really concerned as to what this could ne.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,
The lump on the thigh region could be due to soft tissue swelling.
Few investigations need to be done to find out the origin and character of the lesion.
A X-ray and preferably MRI needs to be done to know the site of origin of the lesion.
After imaging studies, a fine needle aspiration cytology needs to be done (FNAC).
FNAC is an office procedure in which cells are sampled from the lesion using a thin needle.
The aspirated cells are spread on a slide and stained.
The Cells are studied under a microscope to know the character of the lesion- non-neoplastic or neoplastic..
The management of the lesion will be decided after these investigations.
Consult your doctor for clinical examination, relevant investigations and hence management.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal