Small child, swollen lip, irritated bump. Tube inserted in ear. Allergic reaction?

Hi - My son is 4 . This morning when i woke him up for school i noticed his top lip was swollen on the right side with what looked to be a small irritated bump ( hardly noticeable), Im wondering what could have caused this over night? I sent him to school letting the staff know to keep an eye on him. hes never had any allergic reactions aside from 1 time when he was horrible sick & reacted to his medicine - other then that nothing - He has had a tube in one ear about half a year ago ( if that helps)
Asked On : Thu, 13 Dec 2012

Thank you for your query.

The swelling of the lip is very unlikely to be an allergic reaction. Most of the time the lip can swell following an insect bite. The swelling should subside over the next day or two.

You can even look inside the mouth for any evidence of injury like cheek bite which can give rise to painful swelling. However there is no mention of pain so it is most unlikely.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best.

Pediatrician Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman's  Response

Swollen lip with a small bump- most likely to be due to allergy.

Since you say no other problems- it might be an insect bite- say a mosquito/ant bite when he was asleep. How ever these urticarial lesions can be cause due to anything under the sun.

Just give him 1 or 2 doses of Benadryl according to his weight. He will be fine I guess.

But if he develops same itchy bumps elsewhere/ through out his body/ you see some breathing problems in him- take him to the ER immediately.

Hope my answer helps you.
Best wishes.