Small child, restless, congestion, humidifier present in room. Will saline drops help?

Hi. My two month old is very restless (sleeping) at the moment. I can hear that she is very stuffed up ( and it sounds wet). She hasn t woken herself just yet... We have a humidifier in her room already. Should I wait until she wakes herself, or just wake her and use saline drops/ bulb to clear her out a bit? She is swaddled and sleeping on her back.
Asked On : Sat, 8 Sep 2012
Pediatrician, Cardiology 's  Response
Thanks for the query
Baby feels more comfortable during sleeping on abdomen, but there are some problems reported in this posture. So swaddling with sleeping on back is good. Most of the time noisy breathing in this age group is due to nasal blockade. As you have a humidifier in your room chances of drying of nasal secretions is less, but its possibility can not be ruled out. As tone of pharyngeal and laryngeal muscles including the tongue is poor in this age group, that can also cause noisy breathing which improves with age. In any child if there is respiratory difficulty then she will not be able to sleep and will woke up. So better you wait till she wakes. Be careful and don't put the saline drop in both the nostrils simultaneously as it may cause respiratory difficulty, so first put 1-2 drops in one then after 2-3 mnt in other nostril.
I hope this answers your query effectively

Wish you and your family good health
With regards