Small child, high fever, white sores in mouth, on tongue, red swollen gums, bleeding teeth. Treatment?

Hi. My 2 1/2 years old son had an average of 103.5 since Wednesday. I took him to his doctor and she said it is a viral infection that has to run its course. Today is Saturday night and he still had a 102 when he went to bed but his mouth now has white sores in it as well as on his tong. His gums are red, swollen and when I brushed his teeth tonight they were bleeding . Please advise what this could be...
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013