Small child has only one kidney from birth, low functioning. Kidney transplant to be done. Prognosis?

My daughter was born with just one kidney which functions at 45% (she is 4 years old now). We have been told that she will need a kidney transplant at some stage in the future. Whilst I understand to a certain extent the procedure, recovery and maintenance associated with a transplant I am absolutely shocked to learn that her lifespan will be cut short if she does have a transplant. I am so confused as I recently heard that a persons lifespan could be cut short by 20-40 years following a transplant- is this correct?
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012