Slip disc, sciatica attack and a muscle spasm. Advised hifenac MR, serta 20 and duzela 30. Suggestions?

I have had a slip disc of the L4 L5 and L5 S1 and sciatica for the last 7 years. recently I had an attack of sciatica and a muscle spasm on my lower back. I am 40 years of age, 5 inches 2 feet in height and weigh approximately 75 kgs. I was prescribed Hifenac MR as a pain killer and also serta 20 and duzela 30 all to be take once a day at different meal times. I also wear a lumbar spine belt most times of the day except when I am sleeping. That is very obstructive and recently my doctor has been saying that I should try and get out of the habit of using it as it is weakening my muscles. My questions - 1. Are these medications safe over a long term period? I am sure they have side effects and big ones at that. Also how do i get rid f the belt?
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013