Sleeplessness, depression, anxiety, mucinex d taken previously for sinus cold. Zanax not effective. Advise?

My wife age 56 took Mucinex D for her severe sinus cold about 6 weeks ago. Followed the dosage recommended, which I thought was high, a total of 1200 mg a day.. On the second day I noticed that she was speaking very fast. She stopped taking it and fell into a depression and has had some anxiety as well.. This is not typically her mindset, as she is a very upbeat person and has not had any issues in her history of this type of behavior. She also never had any sleep disorders.. Now she cannot sleep and is getting progressively worse with out sleep. She contacted a doctor and they prescribed .5 zanax which does nothting to help her mind shut down and allow her to rest.

Question. We think her problem is neureological, and that the Mucinex D somehow triggered or caused some issue in her brain.. Please suggest a course of action. I think that att the top if the list is for her to get sleep.. I am told that your bdy can build a resistance to Zanax and perhaps thats why she cannot seem to sleep after taking it.
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013