Skipping heartbeats. Taken OTC cold medicine. What could be the reason?

for the last 2 evenings my heart has been skipping a beat for a period of over an hour - it comes with the urge to cough . I am a distance runner and work-out several times a week with weights so am fit and don t smoke or anything. I have been taking over the counter cold medicine for the last 2 weeks off and on but not the kind the keep behind the counter. thank you
Asked On : Fri, 10 Aug 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
over the counter cold medication can cause cardiac side effect
i advice not to take over the counter cold or any other medicine
medicine should be taken under supervision of medical practionar only
now stop your cold medicine
its will subside its own once medicine effect will go
if it still persist then consult family physician and get one EKG done
take care