Shortness of breath, echo cardiogram done. Anything to worry?

I am just wanting to know more about ectatic ascending aorta. My husband is facing open heart surgery soon. Echocardiagram indicated leaking valve. Heart cath confirmed aortic regurgitation, non rheumatic: Moderately severe insufficiency, with ectatic ascending aorta. My husband is 63 years old and experiencing shortness of breath to the point that it is interfering with quality of life. Doctor says he has a strong heart. Could you explain the seriousness of this condition? Thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Oct 2013