Short term memory loss. MRI normal. What kind of tests should be done?

my mother has been having memory problems for over 2 years the doctor just ordered an mri but the results said normal. She has short term memory loss and sometimes does not recognize me or my daughter, forgets to eat, doesn't always remember what one is hot or cold on water faucets, forgets where she's going often. im just very worried for her and her doctor doesn't seem like he wants to get to the bottom of this. I would just like some information on what kind of tests I should ask for her to get so she can have a better life. or even some ideas on what it could be.
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013