Sharp stabbing pains in lower right abdomen. What may be the cause ?

My wife, 35, is currently having sharp pains in her lower right abdomen . She said the initial pain started around 11:30 at night and has progressed ever since. The pain seems to come and go with stabbing like sensations during the most severe times. It does not appear to be sensitive to touch. She cannot get comfortable and says the pain appears to go across the middle of her abdomen when she sits up. She had an ovarian cyst removed 5 or 6 years ago, but has not had any issues since. Thanks for your time.
Asked On : Thu, 8 Nov 2012