Sharp needle like pain in calf only lasts for about a second, on birth control. Is it a clot ?

Hello, for the past couple weeks I have been getting this sharp pain in my calf . It only lasts for about a second, but it hurts really bad. It feels like someone stabbed a needle into my leg really hard and it comes at random times of the day and again only lasts for about a second. I am also taking birth control , which could cause blood clots..does it sound like it could be a blood clot? If not, what is it?
Asked On : Fri, 16 Nov 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
it might be simply a muscular cramp......... get a good evalulation with your clinician and go through Vit E course................