Sharp knee pains at night, subsides in the morning. No relief with medicines. Remedy?

Night pain in one knee only. No particular injury ( ski accident 60 years ago) but normal since then. Occurs even if I stretch out on the couch before bedtime. And, most bizarre, at 6 am before I get up it goes away. During the day I feel nothing. I can sleep no more than an hour or so at a time. This has gone on for a week. The pain is on the inside of my left knee and is sharp, stabbing , and excruciating. Ibuprofen etc. does nothing for it.
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013