Sharp, intermittent pain under armpits, occasionally causing shortness of breath. What could this be?

Very sharp but very short intermittent pain just under the left armpit (just above the first rib). Had these for many many years (maybe 15 years or more). They come and go, perhaps several times a year and last for a few days...then disappear. Sometimes the pain seems to take my breath away, but there are no problems at all breathing (no changes in breathing rate), and no other symptoms. What could this be?
Asked On : Fri, 30 Nov 2012