Severe throat injury, bleeding, swelling. How to control the pain?

i was eating a candy cane next to my friend and my friend that was sitting next to me jumped up and when she did that her arm hit my arm and it shoved the candy cane down my throat and it jabbed the back of my throat and i bleedding really really bad and now its all swollen and hurts really bad is there anyhting i can do to take down the swelling and stop the pain? please help me im in so much pain
Asked On : Wed, 26 Dec 2012
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Since you seem to have sustained a significant injury resulting in heavy bleeding and severe pain, you need to seek medical attention immediately. It appears that tyou may have sustained a mucosal tear of the esophagus (food pipe) which is causing thebleeding and the persistent pain.

Till you get to the emergency room, I would suggest that you keep taking sips of ice cold water - as this can help in arresting the bleeding, decrease the swelling as well as reduce the pain. Further management of the pain can be done at the ER, with appropriate pain killers.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar