Severe pain in the thigh and ankle after falling from stairs. No fracture in x-ray. Ankle still swollen and numb. Need treatment?

I fell down some stairs on Friday night and damaged my ankle, knee and Thigh I got an ambulance as I couldn t put any weight on it at all the ambance gave me gas and air for the pain as it was so bad they took x rays at hospital but said nothings broken then told me to go home but although the swelling on my thigh is coming down my ankle is still a bit swollen and it s just numb all the time ????
Asked On : Sat, 9 Jun 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I think you have ankle sprain and some ligament must have been damage there. I would suggest you to keep applying ice fomentation, rest and compression bandage. if your symptoms improve then its ok otherwise you need to get a MRI scan of your ankle.