Severe pain in knee. Exercised after long time. Reason for pain?

I went running on tuesday for the first time in a couple of months. It was 5.2 kilometers and it consisted of varies hills.. I felt pain in my knee when i was going on one of the hills but it was not significant. Wednesday i played basketball and it was fine. Thursday i had to play basketball and it was also fine but after my came finished the pain intensified and it really hurt to lift/bend my leg to walk. I've iced it for two nights now seeing its friday and theres no bruising or swelling but there is pain on the side of the kneecap.. And i'm not sure why it hirts or what i've done?
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013
Welcome at HCM.

I have read your question.It looks from your details that you are having pain at inner side of knee after running & playing.

Pain at inner side of kne can be there due to-

-Strain of medical collateral ligament at inner side of knee.

-Tear of medial meniscus(a cushion like structure in knee).

-Due to arthritis.

You should do following to have relief in this-

-Take rest.

-Avoid putting strain at your knee.

-Do warm fomentation over the knee.This will help in relieving pain.

-Apply an ace bandage over knee starting from ankle to mid thigh.Do not bind it too tightly.This may lead to swelling at foot.

-There are some exercises which should be done after relief from pain-

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.