Severe pain in ear, throat. Nodes swollen. Strep test negative. What could be the reason?

Hello I have had the worst pains since Sunday two strep test came negative. All of this is my left side. Severe ear and throat pain I can hardly drink! Hurts to talk and open my mouth my jaw and gums way in back are also very sore. Went to dr twice and neither seem to know what s wrong. Says ear looks fine throat is red on that side & nodes are swollen but no answers. Now I must say this happens atleast once a month for years and has become quite tiresome! Confused as to why everyone demands is strep but test always come back negative
Asked On : Sun, 16 Dec 2012