Severe pain due to neck arthritis. No relief with painkillers. Tramadol advised?

Dear Dr Geif I suffer from severe pain caused by neck arthritis. It is debilitating, and oxycodone is effective but gives me intense itching side effects. I have tried some neuropathics without sucess ( Gabapentin & Pregabalin) and have discovered that Tramadol is another analgesic suitable for moderate to severe. I am thinking of trying this at a highish dose to see if this will be a good solution. Am I right in thinking that it is not an opiod? I appreciate that you cannot comment as to if this med will work; I have had to try out a number of pain killers.
Best regards

Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013