Severe neck pain through shoulders, C2 fracture. CAT and MRI does not show it. Should surgery be performed?

C2 fracture on a 31 yr old female, 5 4 , 134 pounds. Cat scan shows nothing as well as the MRI and X-rays. There a great deal of pain still behind the neck , through to he shoulders. Even life arms causes pain in the shoulders. Has been just under 48hrs since incident, she s taking morphine for the pain but it wears of after 1-1 1/2 hours, and that s 4mg of it. Question is should surgery be preformed, or just wear the brace for 8-12 weeks? And about how long should the pain last?
Asked On : Sat, 15 Dec 2012