Severe itching in leg, upper thigh and arm. Developing white bumps and bruise. What may be the cause?

For a few months now I have been getting really itchy legs. At the start it was mainly around the shins, then it gradually got worse to the upper thighs, arms, and on the torso. It can generally get worse when I m in the shower and then I end up itching all night in bed. When I scratch , my skin comes up with big white bumps all over where I ve scratched, they usually stay around for about an hour. I noticed bruising on my inner thighs last week and thought nothing of it but when I woke last night my inner thighs were extremely itchy so I scratched and this morning have visible bruising and they are quite tender. Can you please help me out and let me know what may be causing this?
Asked On : Mon, 14 Jan 2013