Severe abdominal pain, breathlessness, excessive stomach gas. Medical attention required?

Last night while sitting, I suddenly got severe left abdominal pain that took my breath away and made me feel faint. It lasted a few minutes and I could barely move due to pain. It eased when I was able to eventually lie flat on my back. Overnight I have felt a niggle in the same area, awaking early this morning with another bout that was accompanied by passing gas. When the pain occurs it was extreme and I am wondering whether I should seek medical attention now while the pain has reduced back to a niggle?
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013