Scheduled for total knee replacement. Can I exercise after? Get financial incentive?

I am scheduled for total knee replacement in August . My surgeon specializes in knees. I definitely know that this is needed as I have been putting it off for several years. My question is: Would you recommend the continuous motion exercise machine to be used at home after discharge and how long should it be used? My surgeon said I did not need it - he said it is very bulky and expensive. I don t get it. I have just talked to 2 people who just had this surgery they had this at home and thought it was wonderful. The hospital took care of setting up and taking down and Medicare paid for it. I am very concerned a about this and even thinking about seeing another surgeon but I do not want to harm my relationship with scheduled surgeon as I would have to request my xray from him. Do hospitals have any a financial incentive to NOT send these exercise machines home with patients.
Asked On : Mon, 2 Jul 2012