Scheduled for kidney removal, failure in earlier attempt due to drop in O2 stats, suggestion of medically induced coma. Is it necessary?

My Mom (age 62) is going to have her right kidney removed because of a possibly cancerous mass less than 7cm, but near the vein . This will be the second attempt because last month when she was about to go under general anesthesia her O2 sats dropped too low and the docs cancelled the surgery. They admitted her and did tests over 6 days. The next step is to do the surgery but under a medically induced coma . We are concerned about her being in a coma and want to know if this is a common practice for kidney removal. I have seen a lot of information about induced comas for brain trauma, but nothing for kidney surgery. Is this necessary? Mom does have asthma and high BP but her health is fine otherwise. Thanks for your help.
Asked On : Tue, 21 Aug 2012