Runner having shin splint pain. Stress fracture ruled out. What else?

My daughter is a runner, has been running for 5 yrs (is 20 yrs old now) and running track in college. She was told she was having shin splint pain(dealing with and being treated as she has been running) the last 3 months. Just last week they thought she had a stress fracture and sent her to the doctor. They took scans and sent her to specialist. The specialist says that her shin looks like someone who has been in an accident, or has had a series of fractures over the last five years. What could be causing this?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013