Rice gets stuck in the bottom of throat close to chest. Reasons ?

Often at times when i eat rice it gets stuck in the bottom of my throat close to my chest , It takes about 10 -15min to push in down with little sips of water. Everytime i sip and swollow small amounts of water to push in down, I automatically regurgitate the water back up as it does not push the food down or pass the food. It happens with chicken too two times but mostly rice. This is happening on a frequent basis now when i eat rice. It only happens on the first swollow of rice, after the rice and gone down i then can eat properly. Just last year at end of christmas i had some sticky flem in my throat which i tried to cough and dislodge from my throat, when i did that i breathed in and the flem went into my lung and i couldnt breath for 1 min at all and it was very scary. i dont know if this has anything to do with it. I smoke ciggaretts as well. about 1 packit of 20s a week
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013
ENT Specialist 's  Response
You have not mentioned your age.
Get done ENT consultation and get done
---Throat examination
----flexible fiber optic naso pharyngo laryngoscopy ----an endoscopy to see the throat upto the level of vocal cords.
---Barium swallow-- in this test dye is given and asked to swallow and then x rays are done to see for the level of obstruction.

These tests are done to see the presence of any obstruction or lesion in the food pipe.
Take care of reflux disease-- as this reflux or acidity is one of the big reason for difficulty in swallowing.
Take care---
Antacid tablet +Domperidom
Syp. antacid gel 2 tsf two times a day half an hour before meals
multivitamin twice daily
Keep head end of bed elevated.
Avoid alcohol, Smoking
Do brisk walking daily
Go for walk after dinner
Avoid spicy food     
Avoid late night coffee