Residual bump after foot sprain. Can lipoma be caused by injury?

I fell in Early August and sprained my foot . Had x-rays done and was just sprained. I went for follow-up and there is a bump on my right foot that hurts. Its been 3 months and all the bruising has dissapeared except for the bump. The doctor referred me to see a general surgeon because he thinks it is a lipoma . Can this be caused by an injury? What kind of doctor should I see to tell me if it really is a lipoma. I don t think I should be going to a surgeon just yet.
Asked On : Mon, 22 Oct 2012