Reoccurring CHF. In stage IV heart failure, has a pacemaker, severe edema from the stomach to feet. Longest time of survival ?

Hi, My father is in his 50 s and has had reoccuring CHF for the past 10 yr. He has a pacemaker/defib which was implanted 8 yr ago. He is in stage IV heart failure (Progressing SOB with minimal exertion for the past 2 yr, 25 lbs fluid rentention) He has been hospitalized twice within the past 60 days. He is currently in the hospital, with severe edema from the stomach to feet . His usual diuretics are not effective anymore and his kidney function is deteriorating but this specific hospitalization has been due to heart failure according to tests that have been conducted. The doctors say they will look into an artificial pump and the requirements since he is not a candidate for an actual heart transplant due to his smoking habit. My concern is that he will not be a candidate, or that he will not survive the wait if he was approved. I have not been able to get a prognosis from the doctors. I resorted the the internet to gain some idea of what time he has left but I have found that it depends on the specifics of each individual. With this very brief medical history and current condition, what is the longest and shortest amt of time that is expected for someone? Thank-You
Asked On : Tue, 11 Sep 2012