Redness on cheek, soreness. Done cavity filling. Why?

Hello, I m 16, and of average weight. For some reason I have redness on my left cheek along with a few small red dots (needle tip sized), and a raw sore feeling on the left side and the underneath of my tongue along with a similar raw, sore feeling on the inside of my jaw, where my tongue rests. I am not sick, nor do I believe that I m getting sick. A few weeks ago I had a cavity filled but I doubt that has anything to do with this, the filling is not touching anything. I ve not recently eaten or drank anything rough, spicy, sour, acidy or anything else that could irritate my mouth. I do not bite the side of my mouth or anything like that either. I m just wondering why this is happening, will this subside within a few days?
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012
Dentist 's  Response
Hello welcome to HCM Dental Health public forum,
You have mentioned you have got the filling done and noticed few small red dots in multiple areas.
You have not mentioned what type of filling you got it done, very rarely few individuals will be allergic to some materials which are used for fillings, It can correctly diagnosed only by consulting personally.
Please see is these kind of small red dots are there anywhere else on you body and consult oral pathologist/Dermatologist.

Thanks & Regards,
Dr Katta R Venkatesh
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I read your query & would like to ask a few questions about your restoration:-
-did you got amalgam restoration done?
-do you have sharp cusps or you feel habit of cheek biting
You might be allergic to some filling material like mercury or eugenol oil in case of temporary
You might be having some sharp cusp.
Before having any treatment plan you need to go for proper diagnosis.
Meanwhile you can apply dologel over that.Avoid spicy food it will hurt you.

Take Care
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hello and welcome,
according to your description its not clear that what kind of restoration have you got done.if it is a silver amalgAM RESTORATION,mercury in it can cause toxicity.
do you had any injury while doing the instrumentation by your dentist?
the soreness can also be due to other filling materials like calcium hydroxide or dycal,eugenol,formocresol etc.
apply dologel/mucopain gel on the affected site.if it do not subside even after few days,visit your dentist for the diagnosis.
do you have tobbacco/pan/squid chewing habit?if you have any,please stop it as it can cause burning mouth,limited mouth opening etc.which will lead into a condition called oral submucous fibrosis.
if the symptoms persist,get the cavity refilled by any other filling materials other than the now placed filling.
Dentist Dr. Santanu Sain's  Response

according to the history your red dot like lesion can't be diagnosed online...if it does not sbgsides within 7 days you should visit a dental surgeon,preferably oral pathologist.....meanwhile you can try the following......1.apply Metronidazole+Chlorhexidine oral gel such as metrohex etc. 3 to 4 times daily on that affected site after taking food for 7 days 2.take betadine and mild hot water (1:1)and rinse your mouth properly for 3 to 4 times daily 3.maintain your oral hygine properly.........Hope your oral lesion will be subsided..............last but not the least it seems that your filling is underfilled,it should be rectified if you wish.....and i think the filling is nothing to do with your oral lesion......wish you good health.thank you.
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Redness on the cheek can be due to allergy to the filling material or presence of any sharp cusp.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get the cusp trimmed if present.
Apply Dologel oral ointment topically over the affected area.
Take lukewarm saline and antispetic mouthwash rinses.
Take multivitamin suplements.
Maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps out,