Red, swollen ankle, hurts to put pressure. Normal for sprain?

I hope this doesn't cost anything. I have very little income and need to know NOW!!! My mom said she "sprained " her ankle but it is red and swollen and has a more or less fever in it. It hurts her to put any pressure on it and she will not go to get an X-Ray. Is it normal for a sprain to swell, turn redder, and have a fever in the foot and pain up the entire leg! if you only have a sprain? It has been 24 hours and she says it will be okay. She is very tolerable to pain but I think she isn't telling me. sorry so long............Please Help! I think she needs an X-Ray. She is 74 Years old
Asked On : Mon, 14 Oct 2013