Red penis tip, soreness. Is it an infection?

I m 16 a male and I m not sexually active at all I didn t know how to properly clean my uncircumsized penis until I was 12 By that time the tip was reddish and it was sore to the touch, I ve been washing every day since then and the redness has gone down but not all the way and its not hurting but it s uncomfortable to touch, I ve always been healthy, if its an infection if I keep washing will it go away, is there anything over the counter I don t want to alarm my parents or make them feel bad
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Radiologist 's  Response
May 2014
Thanks for writing.

The tip of penis (glans) is sensitive to touch.
At 16 years please do not worry if there's no pain.
You are maintaining cleanliness and that's great.
Treat your penis gently and washing the meatus with water is best.
Sometimes chemicals in soap and shampoo cause irritation.

Hope this helps.