Red patches on tongue, spreading to the throat, painful, losing voice. What could this be?

I have a rather large red scraped looking splotch/patch toward the back of my tongue that appeared a few days ago. It is somewhat painful, but not too bad. It has, i don t want to say bumps, because they re almost like little sprouts of torn skin in some places on it where taste buds would be, and flatter red bumps in it also. It appears to be spreading down my tongue, and based on my sore throat and losing my voice, maybe backward as well. What could it be?
Asked On : Fri, 26 Oct 2012
Dentist 's  Response
Hello, thank you for consulting with us. As you are mentioning that you have noticed red patch towards the back side of tongue there can be many options for this
- It can be just papilla of tongue which you must have noticed
- It can be trauma or burn from any food if it than it will be healed in few days
- It can also be an ulcer which will also heal after few days
It is better that you should visit your nearby dentist for examination of the lesion.