Red, painful lump on gums, feels while eating hard stuff. What is this? Is it serious?

Hi i have a small red quite painful lump on my left gum. Its only painful when i pressed it. Sometimes it grows in size and sometimes it will be just a small little lump there tat doesnt bother me at all. I realised when i ate heaty stuff or hard stuff and it bothers the lump there, the lump will be more red and bigger in size. Can i know wat is tat? Is it serious?
Asked On : Sat, 5 May 2012

It seems that you may be having mucous cyst..also known as mucocele. Do not worry, it may heal without treatment. If not heals in few weeks, consult dermatologist or oral or ENT surgeon. He may examin you. And if needed excision biopsy may be done by him after required investigations... I hope you got my answer.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD