Red itchy area turning into bruise, warm raised welt. Causes?

I had red very itchy area on my thigh. Kept scratching it & finally looked under my clothes to find a red, warm, raised welt. Assumed I had been bitten by an insect and left it at that. Shortly after I noticed the area turned into a large bruise but there's no evidence of an insect bite. What is this and what causes it?
Asked On : Wed, 17 Apr 2013
welcome to healthcare magic forum
thank you for your query
i understand your concern about skin problem .
but only from description it is difficult to guess about diagnosis and treatment.
it may be due to fungal infection or allergic or any other reason.
it is better to consult dermatologist first .
for itching you can take anti histaminic medicine .
it does not look like insect bite at all.
i hope i answered your question