Red area on the back of left leg below knee tender to touch, occasional burning or a heated sensation. Thoughts ?

I have an area on the back of my left leg just behind and below the knee that is tender to the touch. There is a lump that can be felt under the skin with some swelling noticeable at a glance. The area over the lump is red but doesn t look too bad. I also feel occasional burning or a heated sensation in my leg and foot throughout the day. I was seen at a local ER and they did ultrasound and ruled out DVT but said to go home and it would eventually resolve on its own since they suspect it is a minor inflammation under the skin. It has been a week and it s still there. A friend who is a nurse said it looks, feels and sounds like from the description a ruptured blood vessel . What do you think?
Asked On : Mon, 21 Jan 2013