Recurring itchy reddish swollen hair follicles in the shin. Need a permanent cure

I have red swollen hair follicles on my right shin for about 3 months. It all started when I wore these new pair of pants that made me itch. I scratched my right shin and my nails were obviously sharp at the time and broke skin. The follicles around that area became red and swollen. It would start to heal then the itch would reoccur and the follicles would bled and the process would start all over again. I've also noticed that the itch occurs whenever the skin on my legs dry out. Should I get that checked? It's been 3 months now and the follicles are still red and swollen. It's healing, I think, but whenever it itches again, the scabs that were on the healing follicles would be scratched off.
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013
Hi, thanks for your query
As per the details mentioned by you , it seems that the problem started with contact dermatitis due to the new fabric of pants which worsened to infection due to scratching of the skin. Once you itch , you feel a sense of relief but soon you have a sensation of increased intensity of itching every time to the extent that bleeding occurs. This is SCRATCH ITCH CYCLE which is most challenging part of the treatment.
You are right ,dry skin aggravates itching.
For this you may do as follows:
-Avoid scratching the lesion instead apply ice or cold compresses which decrease itching
-Take oral antihistaminic for itching like cetrizine in the morning and fexofenadine at night for a few days to break the scratch itch cycle after prescription
-Oral antibiotic for 5-7days
Keep your skin well hydrated with moisturisers
Use mild cleansing agent or syndet based soaps
Wear loose fitting cotton cloths
Get your blood sugar checked
You may approach a dermatologist for examination or upload your pictures on our site .
Hope this solves your query
Wish you a speedy recovery