Recurring fever, dry cough, body ache. What could be causing it?

I have been having a recurring fever and dry hacking cough for 2 months now. In February I had a 24 fever of 102 with body aches and chills and cough as the only symptoms. Then the next day I felt fine. At the beginning of March I suddenly got a low grade fever of 101 and hacking cough for 3 days then it went away. Just yesterday I suddenly had 102 temp all night with horrible cough. I called my doctor and they said it s just a virus. Is this true that a fever and cough can just come on for no reason? Thanks
Asked On : Mon, 11 Mar 2013