Recurring bouts of rectal bleeding, occasional leaks through trousers. What could it be?

My boyfriend is 46 the past year or so he has been having bouts of rectal bleeding . It will roughly go on for a few days then stop for a few weeks then reappear again. The blood doesn t appear dark as such but sometimes the bleeding is quite bad leaking through his trousers during the day. He drinks alcohol often but not too excessive. There doesn t seem to be signs of piles. Could you please try and tell me what it may be?
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013
Proctologist 's  Response
rectal bleeding can be anything from piles to prolapse to cancer (please dont be afraid - but thats true),
consult a Proctologist - colorectal surgeon for a proper diagnosis and treatment.
please don't feel shy or embaressed, after all its your health and one should not delay it due to fear of unknown.
take care
wish you good health