Rectal exam done, history of stomach/intestinal issues, family history of colon cancer. Worried

Today at the doctors office I ended up having a rectal exam. I had injured my ribs, then after a bad sneezing fit when pain was worse, i had gone into the bathroom and had blood in the toilet to the point I thought I had started my period.but it had actually come from the other end. I do have a history of stomach/intestinal issues, internal hemorrhoids, and family history of colon cancer and polyps but no polyps myself. I have been having colonoscopies for years now because of the issues I have had a family history including my grandmother dying at age 32 from colon cancer. When the doctor felt inside my rectum, he said he felt a rather large, about knuckle sized, hard lump and there was some blood when we withdrew his finger. Lately I have been very bloated feeling and feel like I need to have a bm a lot of the time, but when I try I don't always have one. No diarrhea, but I fight constipation on and off, but lately not too bad. For the most part, I am a pretty healthy, 36 year old female. 5'6 128 pounds. He wants me to have a colonoscopy to get a better look at it and to get a possible biopsy of it. Any ideas of what it could be. A little sleepless over this tonight. Thank you!
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013