Rash all over body, swelling in nose, eyes area. Due to virus or allergic reaction?

My daughter woke up yesterday with a rash all over her body and swelling in the area of her nose and eyes. Hospital told us its viral and that is her body s reaction to it. Today she has increased swelling in those areas, rash is still present. Has a runny nose - yellowish discharge. Itchy/no pain and no fever. I am leaning towards an allergic reaction but Benadryl has had little to no affect. Can it possibly be a virus or more of an allergic reaction or both?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013