Rapid heart beats felt on neck. Why?

Hi, I get some random fast beats on the left part of my neck at some random times. I think it s the pulse increasing and beating very fast for a couple of seconds (usually less than a minute) and then it stops. It happens really randomly even when I m relaxed. I do not drink caféine, nor take any medicine. Should I worry about it? Thanks
Asked On : Thu, 11 Oct 2012

It is not uncommon to feel the heart beat in some areas of body like neck, chest and abdomen. These are called palpitations. They are especially common on the left side of the neck due to a major artery present caused to due pumping of blood to brain by heart. Common causes could be

1-Anxiety & stress

3-High Fever

4- Potassium imbalance

6-Heart disorder like arrhythmia i.e. abnormal heart rate

Palpitations are usually not serious. however if they persist for longer period or occur frequently then an underlying cause could be the reason. If this condition persists then it is advisable to get an ECG done to rule out any underlying heart abnormalities.