Raised patches of hives on hands, arms and legs. Suggested benadryl, clariton, cortizone. Can the new carpet cause itching?

My son has had patches of raised hives on his hands, arms, and legs for 9 days now and they are not going away. We went to the doctor monday and she said to give him benadryl and clariton and apply cortizone cream. We have done all this and nothing seems to be working. the only thing we can think of that may have irritated him is that we moved recently to a place that just had new carpet put in and there may be something on the carpet that isn t agreeing with him and there isn t much I can do about that. What else can I do?
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jul 2012