Psychosis, schizophrenia, hallucinations. Abused drugs and alcohol. What can help the illness?

hi, I believe my sons father has psychosis but I think it may be schizophrenia. He has abused drugs and alcohol which I always thought was the reason for the auditory hallucinations and other odd behaviors. but I have been thinking about the last 8 years that I have known him, and he has extreme moods. He is uncontrollable and speaks very violently. It comes out of nowhere sometimes when it is totally uncalled for. Yet he doesn't show signs of embarrassment or remorse. He has been showing signs of short tempered, tired, etc. I thought he was a sociopath but perhaps it is schizophrenia. I don't know, I want to know more about what I can look at in his lifestyle behaviors that can help me to better identify the problem. I have good understanding of human behavior and mental illness drugs and alcohol. Ive been working with women with bi-polar disorders in 12 step programs and am just about a fully certified counselor. I just feel because he is so close to me i haven't really looked as far into this as I would have seen in a person not in my immediate family. Please help.
Asked On : Sun, 13 Oct 2013