Pollen allergy. Sore throat, difficult breathing. Can I continue exercise?

Hello Dr. Samuel, I AM HAVING POLLEN ALLERGY REACTION, i BELIEVE, AS EARLY AS THIS MONTH. iT ALSO SEEMS A SOAR THROAT-possibly a flue thing. I am now on alegra, but for the soar throat I am taking a syrup. I regularly exercise on daily bases. Do you have any suggestion? I sometimes feel hard to breath. Do you think I can do my regular exercise? about 30-45 minutes. I would, first of all, like to thank for your cooperation. Fantu YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Wed, 20 Mar 2013
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Allegra will help reduce your symptoms of allergy.

Do try the following measures:

1. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of warm water a day. You can have a glass of warm water every hour or so.

2. Sign up for yoga classes. Yoga if practised regularly is very beneficial for the body and mind, and will help reduce the chances of allergy in the long run.

3.Avoid exposure to dust by using a mask.

4. Warm saline gargles 3 times a day will help reduce the sore throat. Also have a teaspoon of honey mixed with a pinch of pepper powder.

5. Try Steam inhalation 3 times a day.

If you dont find symptomatic relief at all with the above mentioned measures, please visit your physician.

Hope this helps.

Get well soon.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan